If you or a family member struggles with substance use disorder (SUD), you may be wondering if there are rehabs that accept your insurance. If you are a Cigna Healthcare insurance policyholder, your plan may cover some or all of the costs of addiction treatment services.1 However, the amount of coverage you have depends on your specific policy.2 This guide will help you understand Cigna insurance policies and how you can check to see if your policy covers the treatment you seek.
Addiction Treatment Services Covered by Cigna Health
The Affordable Care Act (ACA) requires all insurance providers to offer some level of coverage for mental health treatment, which includes SUD treatment for either (or both) alcohol and drug addiction.3 The level of coverage will depend on your policy.1,2,3
Cigna Healthcare policies cover treatment for SUD and other addiction services for its members. They have a partnership with California Behavioral Health to provide detox, residential inpatient, and numerous outpatient programs at discounted rates to Cigna policyholders.1
California Behavioral Health services covered by Cigna insurance include:
- Detox: Sometimes, a person needs medical intervention to detox off the substance they take safely. If you require detox, talk to your treatment advisor. They can make sure you are cared for medically to manage withdrawal safely.
- Residential Inpatient: Cigna insurance covers all or some of the costs of California Behavioral Health’s inpatient programs. Cigna will also cover the costs associated with partial hospitalization programs (PHP) for patients who need residential care but also require the opportunity to live at home while in treatment.
- Outpatient programs: Some treatment plans require an intensive outpatient program (IOP) that involves regular attendance (usually a few times each week) to rehab and therapy sessions. Less intensive outpatient programs are also available and covered under most Cigna plans. Your treatment advisor can work with you regarding which outpatient plan is best to ensure your recovery success.
- Aftercare: Patients struggling with SUD often require aftercare and long-term recovery programs to remain abstinent. While programs like AA, NA, and Celebrate Recovery are free aftercare support groups, some patients need further aftercare, such as sober living. Some Cigna plans will cover some of these costs.
- Medically-Assisted Treatment (MAT): California Behavioral Health offers medically-assisted treatment for patients looking for a medical solution to ensure long-term sobriety. These medications include methadone, buprenorphine, and naltrexone.
Signs That Someone Might Have Substance Use Disorder
How do you know if you or a loved one struggles with SUD and should seek treatment for their addiction? The Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders, Fifth Edition (DSM-5)—the manual used to diagnose mental health issues such as SUD—classifies this disorder by the following signs:4
- Taking substances in larger amounts or for longer than intended
- Inability to stop or reduce substance use
- Increased tolerance
- Developing withdrawal symptoms
- Intense cravings and strong urges to use
- Using even though it causes issues in your relationships
- Spending excess time obtaining, using, or recovering from using
- Keeps you from fulfilling your obligations
Only you can decide whether substance use is causing growing pain in any area of your life enough to drive change. If you have concerns regarding SUD, resources are available that can help you get started on your recovery journey. You aren’t alone. Help is only a phone call away.
How to Check If Your Cigna Insurance Policy Covers Treatment
Cigna Healthcare covers hundreds of millions of patients with policies ranging from basic medical coverage to extensive top-tier plans with comprehensive coverage, including addiction treatment services.1,5 Before you enter rehab, it is essential to understand precisely what your specific plans cover. Here are the steps you can take to find out what rehabs accept Cigna:
1. Check With Your Provider
Before you enter rehab, you can contact Cigna to discuss your policy and the coverage you have regarding addiction treatment. Your insurance agent should be able to tell you how much they cover and what your out-of-pocket expenses will be.
They will explain the details of your plan and the benefits you qualify for so that you can focus on what’s important, your recovery. Remember that there might be a longer wait time to speak to an agent, as they are managing more than just patients asking about the coverage details.
2. Use the Online Patient Portal
Cigna offers an online portal for policyholders. You can search for your exact coverage details by logging in and reviewing your policy online. There is a convenient search tool that helps you locate resources on their site, and live support agents are available to help you 24/7.6
3. Contact a Treatment Advisor
A treatment advisor at California Behavioral Health can work with you and Cigna Health insurance to take the guesswork out of what your plan does and does not cover regarding addiction treatment services. They can answer any questions about your Cigna Healthcare policy as soon as you make the first call.
A treatment support specialist at California Behavioral Health can walk you through every step of your early recovery. Your recovery specialist will help you find the best treatment plan from insurance, payments, and financial assistance to ensure you know exactly what you can expect.
Payment Options and Financial Assistance
If you or a family member is struggling with SUD and looking to seek treatment, you’re probably wondering how much—if any—your Cigna insurance policy will cover.
- What drug rehabs take Cigna insurance?
- Do they cover alcohol treatment, too?
- How much will it cost out-of-pocket?
- What unexpected expenses will there be?
If you are a Cigna Healthcare member, your policy may cover part or all of the rehab.1 How much you pay depends on many factors this guide covers.
Many treatment providers, such as California Behavioral Health, offer financial assistance for those who qualify. Work with your treatment advisor regarding the financial aid process. They can also set up affordable payment options that fit your financial situation.
Beginning Your Recovery Journey
Taking the first steps in the recovery process can be scary. Not only do you have concerns about what treatment will look like, but when you add financial concerns, it can seem too overwhelming.
At California Behavioral Health, we understand how nerve-wracking it can all seem. Our recovery specialists work with you to alleviate your concerns and answer all your questions.
We will connect you with resources and show you how your insurance factors into your recovery journey. Our treatment advisors have a lot of experience working with insurance providers nationwide, including Cigna.
Contact us today to talk to one of our recovery specialists who can help you find out what your Cigna insurance plan covers.
Frequently Asked Questions About Rehabs That Accept Cigna
If you or a family member have decided rehab is the best recovery option, you probably still have some questions. Here are some answers to questions commonly asked about Cigna’s rehab coverage.
Does Cigna cover drug and alcohol rehab?
Yes.1 Cigna Health provides alcohol and drug rehab and treatment for addiction care programs for people struggling with SUD or other mental health disorders.2 For plan details, you can contact Cigna or your treatment advisor for exact coverage details.
Does Cigna cover inpatient rehab?
Yes.1 Cigna insurance policies with addiction treatment coverage cover the costs of some or part of your inpatient treatment program for both addiction treatment and mental health care. They also cover outpatient treatment services and some aftercare programs.1,2
Does the treatment center I choose need to be in-network?
No. Cigna does not require you to go to an in-network treatment facility.1 Some plans cover out-of-network treatment center costs either in full or in part.
Is financial aid available if Cigna doesn’t cover all the costs of rehab?
Yes. If your Cigna insurance does not cover the costs of the treatment you seek, contact your treatment specialist. They will discuss your financial aid. California Behavior Health offers flexible payment options for anyone in need.
1. Cigna Healthcare. (No date). What is Inpatient vs. Outpatient Care?
3. Healthcare.gov. (2021). Mental Health and Substance Abuse Coverage.
4. American Psychiatric Association. (2013). Diagnostic and statistical manual of mental disorders (Fifth ed.)
5. Cigna. (2020). Company profile.
6. Cigna. (2023) Member Guide: Using Your Cigna Plan.